Legal US sports betting is quickly coming to much of the country, after decades of Nevada having a near monopoly. Where can you bet now? Where can you bet in the future? Read on for a look at the state of sports wagering in the US.
The Federal Government banned sports betting in the United States for 20 years under the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA). The 1992 law granted immunity to four states that had previously allowed sports betting inside their borders. Those states are Nevada, Delaware, Oregon, and Montana.
The Supreme Court heard arguments in late 2017 in regards to New Jersey challenging the legality of PASPA.. SCOTUS issued a decision reversing the ban on May 14, striking down PASPA0 6 votes to 3. Because of the decision, the following states including Nevada now sports betting in a legal capacity:
- Delaware – As of June 5, 2018
- New Jersey – As of June 14, 2018
- Mississippi – As of Aug. 1, 2018
- West Virginia – As of Aug. 30, 2018
- New Mexico – As of Oct. 16, 2018
- Pennsylvania – As of Nov. 16, 2018
- Rhode Island – As of Nov. 26, 2018
- Arkansas – As of July 1, 2019
- New York – As of July 17, 2019
- Iowa – As of Aug. 15, 2019
- Oregon – As of Aug. 27, 2019
- Indiana – As of Sept. 1, 2019
- New Hampshire – As of Dec. 30, 2019
Sports betting legislation passed but not launched yet:
- Tennessee – As of April 30, 2019
- Montana – As of May 3, 2019
- Illinois – As of June 2, 2019
- North Carolina – As of July 26, 2019
- Washington, DC – N/A
- Colorado – As of Nov. 5, 2019
- Michigan – As of Dec. 20, 2019
Delaware began taking bets on June 5, 2018 one of the first into the expanded market. They used the existing sports betting law on its books and established single-game wagering regulations.
In New Mexico Santa Ana Star Casino & Hotel joined with USBookmaking, launched a sportsbook and started taking wagers legally on Oct. 16. Mississippi was the first state with “tribal sports betting”, in agreement with state law. In Santa Ana, although sports betting is illegal elsewhere in the state, the tribe can accept bets on its land. The casino’s wagers are regulated by The Pueblo of Santa Ana Gaming Regulatory Commission.
The Oregon Lottery launched its SBTech-powered Scoreboard betting app on Oct. 16. Chinook Winds Casino Resort in Lincoln City opened the state’s first retail space. In August Chinook debuted its sports betting lounge and currently there are other tribal casinos expressing interest in joining the venture.
WHERE IS IT LEGAL TO BET ON SPORTS?
Nevada – land-based sportsbooks and casino game apps connected to those sportsbooks.
Delaware – Single-game wagers in addition to its pre-existing parlay wagering on NFL games through the State Lottery.
New Jersey – Monmouth Park and Borgata Casino, FanDuel Sportsbook at The Meadowlands, DraftKings Sportsbook, playMGM mobile app and SugarHouse Online Sportsbook & Casino.